Sunday, August 30, 2020

It Works for Me

It has always been my credo for blogging - say what has worked for me, but never suggest it is good for everyone. 


Naturally, because it has worked for me, an idea seems like something to pass along. Yet I believe the best part of learning something is in the process where learning happens. 

~
It's all about 
the journey
~

Recently, I've been trying to find how to do something to reduce the size of my over-large front and, hopefully, lose some weight at the same time. 
For years others have made suggestions - vegan, low calorie, low carbs, high protein, and the list goes on. 
Clearly, I wasn't ready to listen. I wasn't ready to deal with the problem myself. In point of fact, having someone else tell me what to do hasn't often created long-lasting changes for me. 

After a lot of commiseration with a good friend in the same situation, we discussed a particular book that she had read and its cookbook, which I had purchased and put on a shelf. We promised each other that we would stop whining about the issue and do something about it.

To illustrate the change in approach, here is the recipe I shared almost five months ago in the post Food, Glorious Food!
Old Fashioned Baked Beans

If you compared this recipe to the one given in April, you would notice two changes - the number of servings is given and a nutritional facts sheet is included, courtesy of VeryWellFit

In the past two weeks I have done a lot of research. A spreadsheet has been created to keep track of what I eat and its nutritional value. Not surprisingly, much of what I am learning relates to what those advice-givers of the past were trying to persuade me to accept. But this time I am absorbing the ideas at my pace as I need them. 

What I like is that in the process of making a spreadsheet and keeping track, I have become more aware of my own behaviours (eating wise and otherwise) and can make better decisions on the fly because of it. 

I know this is helping me, but I am certain that if I was to share that spreadsheet, it would do little good for anyone who hasn't followed the same path as I. This is something that I needed and that means it is good for me

It is fun making new recipes, and looking again at old recipes, while at the same time adding nutritional information to them. I have fun designing spreadsheets and adding features as I learn new things. 

The reason I posted is to promote the message at the top. Whatever you do, I hope you do it because you think it is the right thing to do. I hope it is a well-informed choice that you make, but above all, make it your choice and not something some expert, self-appointed or otherwise, has told you to do.

That is what has worked for me. 

5 comments:

  1. Hello Deanna,

    I must say that I am not moved (positively) by the idea of making spreadsheets. "On the other hand" I am interested in food, in part because I am developing an unwanted spread, and I have no wish to generate a 'massif centrale.' Lucy is also very interested in food, cooking, and matters relating to the production thereof. This has resulted in a big reduction in the amount of meat that we eat. With that we are both happy, particularly as we are very unhappy with the way pigs are raised here in Brittany.

    That brings me to another matter. Would your baked beans, for which you supply a recipe, taste as good without the inclusion of ham or pork? (Now at this point I lost my previous comment to your post whilst checking your previous post, which I am going to do again - after sending this.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Again,

      In your previous blog post you said, in answer to Rouchswalwe:-

      "Thank you all for your virtual ears, because without these virtual gatherings, across oceans in some cases, through time zones and across a bridge that connects me with you, I would not have a reason to put these ideas into words. Without the words, the understanding might never come."

      I found this a little disturbing, yet again, because I have fought against the idea of recommencing blog posting on Gwynt. There appears to bo no doubt that physical input, such as the act of writing, does have an effect on one's inner life, and one's understanding. Hence the power attributed to religious ritual, for example. But what happens when one receives no, or occasionally irrelevant, feedback? Does posting then have any value?

      Delete
    2. Hello Tom,

      Yes, a massif centrale is exactly what I am concerned about here as well. There is no question in my mind that the recipe would work well without the pork (K and I have the same reaction to veal for the same reason - inhumane treatment. Livestock should only experience one bad day!). So, try the recipe meatless to see if you enjoy it. I think the pork adds a smoothness because of the fat content, so if the beans are a bit dry, perhaps try again with the addition at the beginning of a short sautée of the onions in some olive oil.
      Replacing meat with legumes makes sense to me. You need the protein. I have read that for good health, you should consume about 0.4 grams of protein for each pound of body weight. That is about .9 g per kg.

      One of the reasons I stopped posting in the other blog was exactly that; the original target audience (the trans community, that is) had nothing to add in the comments. That quote is prominently displayed on my other blog. It was a corner-stone of its meaning for me.

      The origins of this blog, on the other hand, were an alternate form of outlet for inner growth - my little red book. In that book went those things I was becoming certain needed to be understood. It was never supposed to be read by anyone else but me, occasionally. The same might be said for this blog - of interest to a limited audience. :-)

      Delete
  2. Good point. We need to find and do things that benefit us, regardless of what others think. Sounds good that you're discovering techniques to achieve your goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I do agree that we need to be open to finding as many ways to be good to ourself as we can, staying safe is important too. I'd be the last to advocate 'worrying' about what others think, yet knowing what benefits me and leaves the rest of the world relatively unaffected, or at least unaware, is useful for personal wellbeing.
      It can be a dangerous world, sadly.
      Stay safe!

      Delete